Thursday, January 26, 2017

"CHRIST IN A DANGEROUS WORLD"

       

            Back in 1978 our family were moving from Nedlands to Gosnells. At the same time my doctor whisked me into hospital for a biopsy on my thigh. I came home with a bandaged thigh propped with me on a chair while the home furniture was moved out from around me. I was the last piece of furniture moved to Gosnells and hobbled to the ringing ‘phone. The hospital was ringing me urgently to book me in for surgery for suspected melanoma so back I went for a fortnight.
By the time I was allowed out, Gosnells’ new minister had to conduct worship over a few weeks from a lazy-boy lounge.

            I remembered that little adventure recently. My number came up for a room at Arrunga, our new assisted care home centre in Ermington at the same time a surgeon took to me to remove my parathyroid glands from which I am hopefully recovering. My son flew back from Brisbane where he was moving to a new human filing cabinet and filing work applications. He stayed at the unit while caring for frail father and doing the bulk of clearing my unit putting his life on hold again like he did this time last year. He has fled exhausted back to move his own stuff into his new place.

            The moral of my story so far is to avoid moving and surgery at the same time. I have now done it twice 38 years apart. Between my long surges of self-pity which some of you have had to endure, I thought what has occurred to millions of people around the world this year.

            Millions of people have been desperately on the move fleeing for a chance to survive. Few end up at their preferred destinations. Organisations are unprepared and, dare I say it, unwelcoming, treat the refugees like plagues. Those of us who care have found ourselves challenged by unavailable resources and opposition from those with xenophobia. Our own little moving issues are like packing for holidays compared to the risky upheavals in their life. Fortunately, we can contribute through the Christmas Bowl to help.
           
            Being pursued by physicians and surgeons to spend time in hospitals is like an overseas holiday when we become aware of the brutal bombing of hospitals in Aleppo and other places. We look at our children and then watch the horror of little children rescued from rubble, traumatised by organised terror, often the only survivors of their families. They will need support for years. The Christmas Bowl and Act of Peace can be our conduit by which this support can come.


            We can think of Jesus born of a Middle Eastern family to flee to Egypt from a ruthless ruler and had a taste himself of what so many are going through right now as you read this. Jesus comes to us again this Christmas. We see his face on everyone experiencing and fleeing danger. Remember that when we celebrate this Christmas. May Christmas come to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment